EU- Programme for Economic Advancement & Community Empowerment
The Programme for Economic Advancement and Community Empowerment (EU-PEACE) was a multisectoral initiative of EU & SRSP. This Euro 40 million programme was implemented in over 100 selected union councils of seven districts of Malakand Division including Buner, Chitral, Dir Lower, Dir Upper, Malakand, Shangla and Swat. It had five major components; Community mobilization, Rural Electrification, Improvement in basic social services, Women empowerment, & Growth of economic activities. This six years programme benefited 1.95 million population in target areas.
The six years programme (2012-2018) benefited 1.95 million population & had a strategic importance of supporting Gov. of Pak/Gov. of KP’s efforts for reconstruction and stabilization in Malakand Division (Post IDP crisis, 2009 and Devastating floods 2010).
Five major components & achievements
- The programme fostered 12,154 community-based women & men institutions at three levels (Mohallah, Village & Union Council) with 263,000 households as its members.
- EU-PEACE established 165 MHPs producing 21.2 MW clean and renewable electricity benefiting 624,000 off grid population.
- EU-PEACE developed 658 infrastructure schemes with public institutions & local communities comprising potable water, sanitation, link roads, irrigation channels, suspension bridges, & SS services benefiting 184,000 households in all 7 districts.
- Capacities of 20,000 women were enhanced in literacy & numeracy skills, entrepreneurial skills, & leadership/management skills. These women participated in provincial & national events & developed linkages with government institutions.
- EU-PEACE supported over 4,000 men and women farmers and producers in district specific value chains including Black and red persimmon, gladiolus, fruit nurseries in district swat; lemon grass and fruit nurseries in district Buner; Rice seed and fruit nurseries in district Malakand; Olive and fruit nurseries in district Dir Lower; Red persimmon and gladiolus in district Dir upper; Shoghori, walnut, and honey in district Chitral.
Formation three tier institutions under EU-PEACE created effective spaces for local communities to interact with each other bolstering social cohesion & an environment for flourishing socio-economic activities in these war trodden areas.
Few Outcomes of the programme
- 72% of community-based institutions formed under EU-PEACE were reported to be institutionally independent and promoting democracy, accountability, inclusion, access to quality services, and better resource management in target areas.
- The completed MHPs functioning efficiently are contributing in reducing GHG emissions (CO2) by 60,000 tons on yearly basis.
- The conventional irrigation channels developed by EU-PEACE resulted in an increase of 140% in quantity of water (5 to 12 cusecs) which enhanced farmers’ income by 172% and appreciating land value from 3.2 to 7.7 million per acre.
- Members of Business Interest Group under value chain development component recorded an average increase of 50% in production and over 70% increase in income.
The MHPs established under EU-PEACE have been internationally recognized and were awarded by prestigious organizations like Ashden, Energy Initiative, & Energy Globe. Case studies on these have also been published by coveted institutions e.g. World Small Hydro Power Center, UNIDO, UNGNESD, UNEP, IKEA, and many others.
Impact of EU-PEACE
Adopting Outcome Harvesting technique for external evaluation of EU-PEACE programme, Dr. Jeph Mathais-an evaluator and project design expert from New Zealand- reported that with an array of activities e.g. social mobilization, infrastructure development, women empowerment or value chain development, EU-PEACE has contributed to economic output, social mobility, changed relationships between genders, people and communities and, in many cases, transformed lives. During the process he collected 1,100 in-depth stories and analyzed it through robust and rigorous qualitative software i.e. Dedoose
Ambassador Jean François Cautain Tuesday said that the European Union (EU) was committed to the development of marginalised areas in Pakistan in conformity with its national policies.He was addressing a large gathering of communities at Shinko village in Madian valley...
The 1.2 megawatts Ashuran power house established in Kalam area of Swat with the cooperation of European Union was inaugurated on Wednesday.The project set up by Sarhad Rural Support Programme (SRSP) was inaugurated by the EU envoy. The SRSP said about 3,000 families...
UPPER DIR, 24 September: District Nazim Upper Dir, Sahibzada Fasihullah, has inaugurated 600KW hydro-power house over Usheri River in Almas area which would be built in collaboration of European Union and Sarhad Rural Support Programme (SRSP).The construction of power...
SRSP organized Youth Development Activity under the Social Mobilization Component of PEACE. This activity was funded by EUROPEAN UNION in DIR District of Malakand Division Khyber Pakhtunkhwa....Powered by Cincopa Video Portal for Business solution.New...
Falahi Tanzeem Bagh Satara and Falahi Tanzeem Ghuwaraijo completed there schemes "Construction of Street Pavement" and "PCC Pavement" in District Governance Community Driven Programme under CDLD Policy. Senior Minister Local Government, Rural Development and Elections...
About 90 Households now enjoy access to electricity in mountain village Smitch in Terich valley district Upper Chitral. Collective effort has resulted in the establishment of 30 KW Micro Hydro Power Station (MHP) in the village. The hydel station was completed with a...